Tuesday, April 10, 2007

In search of the Wii

Wii
We went shopping in Coventry. My 3 ladies were doing girlie shopping so I was left to my own. I went searching for a Wii console. I had already tried to buy one in France and couldn’t find anyone in stock anywhere. I was told they were simply sold out for the whole country and would not be available again until May. I therefore was determined to get on in England. I soon heard the same story there as well. I went from store to store: game console specialty shops, electronics shops, megastores and such and they all had the same response. None in stock. After my 13th store I had basically given up and was on my way back to meet the girls when I found yet another game console store aptly named Game. I went in my 14th store as it was on my way back and there they were… there were 3 consoles behind the counter! I jumped on the queue at the register assuming that the people in front of me had to be buying something else. Otherwise I would have done the French thing and just cut the queue. I saw one of the three be sold. There were 2 consoles left and one person in front of me. He couldn’t possibly be buying a Wii console as well. This place sells XBox 360s, PS2s and they even had the new PS3s in stock. He asked for the Wii console… he actually asked for two of them! I interrupted and asked if he would be kind enough to allow me to purchase one of them and pumped him with my long sob story (over from France, impossible to find, been through 14 stores already, family desperate and counting on me, …). Nothing worked. Finally the clerk behind the counter very kindly interjected “We have a very limited supply. Limit to one per family.”. I eventually walked out with the Wii in the bag and literally skipped up the street!

No comments: