Saturday, June 11, 2005

An anniversary dinner worth forgetting

Our 17th wedding anniversary.

Amazing how this many years later and not only do I love her as much but I just can't imagine living without her...

We spent a normal Saturday of doing errands and chores around the house (door closer for her door, mow the lawn, ...).

Then we went out for dinner. I had called 'round to lots of nice and/or 1-star Michelin restaurants but no one was open on a Saturday. There was no way I was going to afford a 3-star this year as well as Club Med. I therefore settled for a seemingly nice reastaurant in Levallois-Perret which is only about 7 minutes drive from home. Unfortunately I was looking in the 2003 editions of Gault-Millau and Michelin.

The restaurant (La Villa) is definitely the worst we've ever been to for our anniversary and possibly in the list of the worst restaurants we've ever been to (right up there with 'Uitr which got the entire family sick twice).

The food was mediocre, the choice was lousy, the wine list consisted of 8 different wines (all under 5 years old) and the service was probably worse. We tried a Jacquart rosé Champagne apéritif and we're not even 100% sure it was Champagne! I had foie gras as a started. We ordered the best wine they had on their list which was an over-priced (50 euros) Savigny (Burgundy) 1999. It was good... but certainly not better than good. I had a steak for my main course which I ordered medium rare (à point). I would not have been surprised if the animal actually squirmed under my knife it was so rare. Desney kept telling me I shouldn't eat it and so, of course, I did. Dessert was a moelleux au chocolat which was about as good as Picard (frozen) gets.

We arrived early for our 20:30 reservation (around 20:10) and we were back home by 22:00!

Enough said...

No comments: