Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Oral Cancer Foundation

I was going through the messages on the Throat Cancer Support eGroup and I found a quick mention of a site that looked particularly interesting and had just opened up.

The Oral Cancer Foundation appears to have either just opened or just redesigned their web site. It's very nicely, and tastefully, done. From a technical point of view I quite like the moving menu on the left-hand side (JavaScript). But the most important aspect is that it is just plain chock full of valuable information presented in a reasonably layman-like language about so many aspects of this specific type of cancer. It is really the type of site I was looking for, and would have loved to have found, when I was first diagnosed and going through treatments. It certainly ain't over yet and the followup information is greatly appreciated.

I obviously checked out the People section and the Arts & Entertainment page to see what other famous people have either survived through or died of throat cancer. I'm in very good company!

Blythe DannerI then checked out their multimedia page and found some excellent television spots they are apparently running in the States these days. The spots are very well done and get the point accross very quickly. Blythe Danner talking about losing her husband, Bruce Paltrow (Gwyneth's dad), to the disease was painful to watch.


Jack KlugmanJack Klugman, who I've always liked, talking about how he survived was obviously much more of a pleaseure to watch. In the second clip I noticed he was constantly holding on to a bottle of water, just like I do now, throughout his presentation. The quote that "1 out of 2 throat cancer victims don't survive the first five years" was obviously not exactly what I wanted to hear. But I believe the figure is 1 out of 3 here in France. Not that it's an incredible difference in the odds if it turns out you are the "one". I personally count on figuring on the other side of the equation just like Klugman.

I plan on being one of the survivors this site talks about and one day my story will be on their survivor's page... you'll see...

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Well I just got to see this post, as I was trying to catch up on your blog's and was totally taken aback by the picture of Jack Klugman, who I was unaware, is a survivor of the same type of cancer you have. He is also one of my favorites, a truly class act. I have no doubt that you will be one of the survival stories, also Derek, your attitude is a major part of your success story and You have exhibited far more poise and characte througout this ordeal than I could ever imagine for myself. You are my hero.