Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter VII


Got up relatively early for me on a Saturday and I was out of the house by about 9:45 and off to La Défense.

I got there at 10:05 just after the opening of the stores...

I was heading for FNAC as I knew they would have what I had come looking for. However when I got to the top of the escalator out of the parking lot right in front of me was Virgin Megastore and their entire entrance was devoted to the new release...

I ran in and took 3 copies of the shelves (1 for me, 1 for Alexandra and 1 for Jessica) and then got sucked in to the store... it's absolutely enormous! I strolled around for a while. I had the books in my hands so I had nothing to worry about. I ended up buying a whole bunch of magazines (digital stuff, computer stuff, stereo and audiofile sutff, ...) and by the time I got to the cash registers there were queues everywhere.

But it was really funny to see so many people with the book in their hands... some adults were literally trying to hide the book while they were in the queue hoping no one would notice what they were buying...

I left the stored with 3 copies, got to the car and back home by 11:00.

At 11:15 I started reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (aka Harry Potter VII). Please leave me alone for a few days as it's going to take me a while to get through over 600 pages...

2 comments:

Karen's Blog said...

Wouldn't it have been easier to have it delivered to your doorstep by Amazon right on July 21, as I did? It came in perfect condition in a specially-made Amazon/Harry Potter cardboard box.

Derek Erb said...

I had originally ordered 3 copies from Amazon. But I cancelled the order.

I assume it's a problem with our Asnières postal system but we rarely receive Amazon deliveries on time... especially on a Saturday.

I used Amazon the last time a book was released and it arrived late; I've used Amazon several times when DVDs have been released and they've always arrived late.

All of this has only been happening since we moved to Asnières so I think I know where the problem is.

To make sure that I got the copies on the day itself I made sure I went out and got them myself.