Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My eyes are older than I am

I went to the eye doctor today... just a checkup... I knew my eyeglasses needed replacing... it's been a long time...

The last time I went, about 2 years ago, I was getting contact lenses. Unfortunately not too longer after getting the contact lenses I got sick and stopped wearing them. I therefore went back to my old eyeglasses. However it's been obvious lately, for several months now, that I have to take my eyeglasses off when I want to see something close and if something's too far away it gets even more blurry than usual.

Because she askedm I explained to the doctor what I had been through since I had last seen her. She was rather compassionate about everything, gentle and kind. She said that because of the combination of radiation therapy and chemotherapy my eyes were going to be too dry for contacts for at least another 3 years. She also had a look at the back of my eyes, with some special drops which sting like hell, and said that my left eye will now always age quicker than my right eye. She could see scars from the radiation therapy behind my left eye as they went right up to behind my ear both surgically and with the radiation.

Apparently my eyes are about 47 to 50 years old now... so I need "progressive lenses". I think the closest translation would probably be bifocals. I'm going to be getting new eyeglasses as soon as possible... I will probably go with something bright-coloured and cheery to take attention away from the rest of my face and to more than likely embarass my children...

I'll post pix here with my new look...

No comments: