Friday, August 26, 2005

The American Hospital in Paris

I went to Dr. Le Blevec's clinic in the 5th only to find he wasn't there. He had completely forgotten about the appointment. After finally getting him on the phone I found that he had gone to his afternoon job. He asked me to meet him there.

I drove to The American Hospital of Paris to meet him. I was not disappointed. The hospital looked like The Beverly Hills Hotel.

I found his office and we met. After looking at the ultrasound results and quickly examining my neck he agreed that this had to be removed as quickly as possible. It is not worth performing a biopsy as it is going to have to removed afterwards no matter what. They are therefore going to remove it and then examine it to find out what it is. He scheduled the operation for Friday (1 week) morning.

Dr. Le Blevec then sent me to meet the anesthesiologist, Dr. Buy, who gave me a much more detailed examination. He examined all over my body to see if there were any other tumours anywhere else. He then sent me off for x-rays.

I went and got the x-rays done and went back to Dr. Buy who had a quick look and said they were fine. He then sent me off for blood tests. I went to the lab, where they took 6 vials of my blood, and finished my day at the hospital.

After paying for Dr. Le Blevec's meeting, Dr. Buy's meeting, the x-rays and the blood test I realised it had been a very expensive day. I will get all of the money back but in the mean time...

The American Hospital is not a conventional French hospital and they gave me a cost estimate to take home... over 10,000 €!

After spending the day being poked at and examined I came home exhausted.

Another nice bottle of wine...

No comments: