Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I hate computers!

Ever since we got back from holiday... actually even before we left... we had to keep shutting down our server every hour or so as it would stop allowing us to connect to it.

As this meant turning off just about every computer in the house, and they are numerous, this was actually quite a pain in the ass.

After finally just getting sick of it I started looking in to the problem on the server and spent about 3 days getting rid of it.

On our Music Server, which just sits there playing music 24/7, was a particularliy vicious piece of adware. The Aurora software basically takes over the computer and then allows other worms to crawl in and attack the server.

I had to go around cleaning up every machine connected to our network... I finally got everything working about a half-hour ago...

Even now not all of the computers are working as it takes me about an hour per computer. But the main computers are operational again and the server works fine. I took advantage of the fact that I had to completely reformat the damn server to upgrade it to Windows Server 2003 and I'm quite pleased with the result.

Now it'll be days and days of teething pains as I go through all of the little things which need tweaking with any new system.

If I could just get about 15 minutes alone in a room with a couple of programmers who write viruses, worms or adware... it would be such a wonderful release of tension and feeling of what the Americans refer to as closure.

4 comments:

Jerry said...

OK, I guess someone does comment on these things, namely me. I will try this and then complete my response to your email. Why do you need a different server with each piece of software. What the hell does that mean the "music server"? Well here goes, previously I was not able to post this.

Derek Erb said...

We have one file server which everyone in the house uses. That's where all of our files are stored and from which they are backed up every night.

We also have a music server where our entire music collection is stored, as MP3 files, and is therefore available to be played on any computer in the house but also, and more interestingly, on most of the stereos in the house via the Squeezeboxes connected to the stereos.

We currently use the regular file server as a mini-video server where our video clips and such are stored and can be played on any computer in the house and on the living room TV. I am working on building a video server to store our DVDs and other videos... but all I need is more time.... 30-hour days would do it.

Jerry said...

OK, I guess my main problem is I don't know what a file server is. I know that you keep files stored in file folders, stored in places that can be backed up seperately from you programs, like in a seperate drive, but I am not understanding file "server". Did you like the pictures of the Chu Berry?

Derek Erb said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of networks!

A file server is a computer on which files are stored and shared. It's a separate computer which the other computers connect to and everyone's files are stored on that computer and everyone has access to them as though those files were actually in their computers.

All of our family documents, photos, ... are on the file server and we all have access to them.

The advantages are numerous and this is why Local Area Networks (LANs) were created: one version of a file in one location rather than various versions and copies littered over several locations; easy backup of all files as they are all in one location; redundancy of the client computers as if the user's computer dies he doesn't lose any data as all of the data is stored on the server, ..., ..., ...

You get the idea...