Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I hate doctors!

Ever since late June I had this lump in my neck, under my ear, on my left-hand side. As always I didn't think it was a big deal. However as it didn't go away throughout July I thought I had better see my doctor about it. But I certainly wasn't going to see a doctor I didn't know in Tunisia about something like this. I didn't even want to see a new doctor in Asnières about something like this.

I haven't seen my doctor since we left Paris about 2 years ago. But Dr. Girarad has been my personal doctor, and our family doctor, for over 15 years and he knows me and my history. I called his office to make an appointment when we got back from Tunisia. As expected he was on holiday and due back on 23/08/05. I therefore made an appointment to see him the day after he got back. I wanted to give him a day to get back in to the swing of things.

It was actually quite strange driving in to the old neighbourhood. Although I easily found his cabinet it took longer to find parking than it took to drive from Asnières. He was a bit late and I teased him about it when he arrived. After going through the standard niceties about our kids and his kids and our family and his family he had a look at my neck.

He immediately called the Clinique Blomet to get me an ultrasound done. I went right to the clinic and Dr. Lorphelin examined me. He didn't like what he saw and I had to bring the results and the pictures back to Dr. Girard.

They found a tumour sitting just on top of my parotid gland but apparently not coming out from the gland. Unfortunately what they didn't like about it, and which didn't exactly cheer me up either, is the fact that it is 2 mm away from my carotid artery.

Dr. Girard immediately began calling surgeons. He started with ORL (ENT in English) surgeons. Of course they were all on holiday. After about a half an hour of phoning left and right he said he would study the case this evening and call me back in the morning. I went home feeling about as depressed as I've ever been in my life.

We cracked open a nice bottle of wine...

No comments: