Friday, February 03, 2006

A long day...

I got up at 07:30, which is already quite a feat, showered and headed downstairs for breakfast. I was able to eat relatively normally (cereal, yogurt and a tartine) and read the newspaper. I checked out and was at my client’s for 09:00.

I’ve known every one of these people for at least a decade now. They were all extremely kind and very pleased to see me as I was to see them. I greeted everyone and then got down to work installing upgrades. I had forgotten how slow their computers were and, more importantly, how slow their Internet connection is. If anyone should know it should be me as I installed each of these computers and the Internet connection. It’s going to take quite some time to install the upgrades because quite a large portion has to be downloaded from the Internet on to each computer.

At 11:00 I had a meeting with a telecommunications technician to discuss an installation project nearby. The meeting went well, albeit a bit long, and was quite productive.

Back to the farm and off to lunch. We had lunch at a restaurant we’ve been to often which overlooks the Normandy hills and which is quite enjoyable. Good Normandy food and back to work.
I spent the rest of the afternoon working and, of course, had setbacks here and there. I didn’t finish until 19:45 and was pretty tired. It was the first day in a while when I hadn’t had a nap in the afternoon. I also had done more talking in one day than I had done in a week. Everyone was very kind and would constantly lean their heads forewards to be able to hear me. It's also funny that often people have the automatic reaction that if you whisper to them they whisper back... even if there's not reason for them to do so.

I said my goodbyes and got on the road. A quick McDonald’s at Caen and back home a little before 23:00.
Alexandra and Desney had just gotten home from taking Jessica off to a friend’s house before her trip. It’s school holidays here as of this evening. I unloaded what had to be unloaded from the car and off to bed…

No comments: