Thursday, February 02, 2006

On the road again...

Tomorrow I have a big day of installations and meetings with my favourite client in Normandy. Normally I would get up at around 06:00 and be on the road for 06:45. I would get there around 09:00 and work throughout the day, leave around 19:30 and be home for about 22:30. However I’m trying to make life a bit easier for myself.

After sleeping a bit late, taking my time getting ready and having a Turkish sandwich for lunch I started preparing for my trip. By 16:00 I was on the road and driving out to Normandy. I arrived in Falaise, which is very close to my clients’, at about 18:45 and got to the room I had reserved at the Ibis Hotel before 19:00. After a bit of unpacking and lying around I set up my computer in the room and was pleased to find that they lived up to their Internet statement and their was WiFi Internet access in the room. I went through my e-mails and put out any fires where needed and finally went downstairs and had dinner. I was able to eat normally and at an almost normal speed. I had a started and a main course. The waitress may have been a bit disappointed in that I only had a carafe of water (lots of it), no dessert and no coffee. But she still got a tip which is more than most customers seem to leave at this hotel. I headed back up to my room. Here is where I first started to really appreciate my new enormous laptop computer. There is a tiny television in the room, as usual, sitting in a corner. For the first time my computer screen is actually bigger, by at least 35%, than the tiny TV. I lied down in bed, curled up with my laptop, put my headphones on and watched The Final Cut DVD which I had rented and brought with me. I quite enjoyed the film and I knew most of my family probably would not have. I think we’ve seen a bit much of Robin Williams (as well as Al Pacino) this month. I also watched The Making Of Sin City DVD which is part of the collector’s edition I have. I was unimpressed as most of the The Making Of was one long trailer pushing the movie rather than showing what they did and how.

And now for a good night’s sleep before work tomorrow…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you're on the road again, Derek, and getting back into the swing of work, though very wisely pacing yourself.

All the best, and don't let the taxman get you down!