Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Cancer on the net

After finishing this latest software release I felt like doing something else.

I don't really know why but I started looking at cancer on the Internet (again).

This time I checked out some of the newsgroups and eGroups to see what people were saying. I am constantly amazed at how different each cancer victim's experience is while still remaining strangely familiar.

There is an eGroup specific to Throat Cancer which I find particularly interesting as it tends to feel closer to home than the more generic cancer groups which discuss the much more popular and widespread cancers such as breast, lung and colon cancers.

I've added links to the groups on the links section of this blog in the lower right. At the same time I also just spent some time updating our movie collection and my books collection which are also in the links on the right.

I particularly like the sites, mostly American, which give the various stages of cancer and then the 5-year survival odds. I keep expecting to be able to find myself listed somewhere on Betfair. You can be on just about anything else there. I spend enough money there that it would be interesting if I could bet against myself. In that case if I won my family would actually get some money! Probably the first time I'd be hoping NOT to win a bet!

I don't know why I'm still fascinated with the subject of cancer. I just know that several hours don't go by without my still thinking about it.

Do I still have cancer in me? Is it still spreading? If not... will it come back?

What will I do, or what am I willing to do, if it does?

No comments: