Friday, March 17, 2006

Liane Foly

Back in December I bought 2 tickets to see Liane Foly at our local theatre here in Asnières. I wanted to set myself a goal at the time: feel well enough to go out to a concert and to enjoy myself. Although I am constantly frustrated by my condition I have to admit that I have met and surpassed the goals I short-sightedly set at the time.

However I had forgotten that no one else in the family is a fan of Liane Foly. We therefore had been discussing all week about who would accompany me. The entire family hoped that my friend Robbie was free and woudl be willing. Unfortunately Robbie has to work. Jessica therefore reluctantly agreed to accompany me.

To attempt to compensate Jessica for accepting the torture of coming out to the concert with me I wanted to offer her a better dinner than just the local Italian restaurant around the corner from the theatre. I was therefore pleased when we found a lovely little French restaurant not far from the theatre. What I had obviously forgotten was how long dinner takes in a "normal" restaurant. Nearly all of the time this is just the way I like it and one of the major reasons I live here. However we were in a bit of a rush to get to the theatre... We still managed to have an entrée and a plat... even though we had to forsake dessert and didn't even have time for an after-meal coffee. The meal was better than average without being extraordinary...

We ran to the theatre and got there at about 20:15. Unfortunately this was one of the rare evenings when the seats were not numbered: first come first serve. And the place was already packed! We got seats pretty far up but at least a bit centred.

She started at 20:40, about 10 minutes late and with the entire theatre clapping to call her out. We were walking out of the theatre at 23:40! Except for a 15-minute intermission she had given us 3 hours of a true "show"!

I had heard that she does a bit of impersonations and jokes in between songs. I didn't realise just how much of an integral part of the show that is. She sings 2 or 3 songs and then she does a few impersonations and stories. Her impersonations were absolutely excellent! Jessica was a bit lost every now and then as she didn't know some of the references or characters. But cutting up the pure singing with stories and impersonations made for an even more interesting and varied evening.

We left there singing songs in the street and were still singing when we tiptoed in to the house as Desney and Alexandra were already in bed. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the evening as the concert was actually much better than I had expected. I knew that I would enjoy it... but I did not expect that much quality or quantity.

Jessica was full of compliments and actually said she was glad she came!

No comments: