Saturday, March 25, 2006

Saturday night dinner

It was just the three of us as Alex had been invited to a birthday sleepover party from an old friend back in the XVth. Desney had taken her during the day and I'll be going to pick her up tomorrow...

Dinner: Desney prepared an entire dorade (fish - sea bream), with broccoli and rice. We opened a rather nice bottle of Ehrhart's Tokay Pinot Gris (not Grand Cru)which I was able to share and enjoy with everyone else. Dinner was delicious. But the Jessica complained about having to eat fish and how disgusting it was to have entire fish on their plates. Desney and I have both learned that the kids' opinions as regards specific food is generally more based on the specific emotional mood(s) at the time than the actual food itself.

I personally was just pleased to be able to drink the wine with the food. The wine doesn't quite sting any more. But, unfortunately, my taste buds still aren't up to actually tasting the nuances of the wine. My nose works perfectly fine so I know exactly what the wine should taste like. I therefore know exactly what I'm missing. Mostly I can't taste the wood and earth aspects. The fruit comes through, albeit more faintly than it should, and the tannic feeling of dryness on the cheeks and gums appears. But the sugar and sweetness comes through rather bitter or acidic. This is all obviously frustrating... but it's still a whole lot better than not being able to drink wine at all.

No comments: