Sunday, March 19, 2006

A major breakthrough

At the end of the day, after running out and getting some more odds and ends for the basement room, I made dinner.

Normally on Friday nights I try and sip of Desney's wine to see if I can somehow manage it. I optimistically think positive each time and each time it burns going down. After so many weeks of disappointment I didn't even try on Friday.

Tonight I had to use white wine in the sauce. I opened up a lovely bottle of Chablis Premier Cru (Les Vaillons 2001) from our favourite winemaker (Moreau-Naudet) and measured out enough for the sauce. I poured a glass ready for Desney as I knew she wouldn't say no. It smelled wonderful. Before bringing the glass out to her I thought I'd try a sip. ... The smile on my face must have been pretty amazing. I thought I'd try another sip... then another...

That glass never made it out to Desney. I poured another glass and brought it out to her. I then sneaked mine from behind my back and did "cheers" with her glass. It was a great feeling!

I can now drink wine without any great discomfort. It still tingles a bit going down. But it doesn't actually burn and it's not uncomfortable.

Unfortunately I still can't really taste it however. From smelling the Chablis I know very well the sort of flavours I should have been experiencing. I wasn't getting any of 'em. I got a bit of the fruit in the beginning. But none of the wood, no length in the mouth and nothing after. I made sure with Desney... it wasn't the wine... it was me.

I can't taste the wonderful aspects of wine that make it enjoyable... yet. But I can drink wine again which is certainly a major step in the right direction.

I might open another bottle just to celebrate!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheers, Derek. Here's to the appreciation of many more glasses of fine wine!

Kathleen