Thursday, January 26, 2006

Computers again...

Dell Inspiron 9400My new laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400) arrived yesterday. I opened it up and I immediately froze. I didn't move. I gently put it back in its wrapper and made sure I hadn't broken any of the packaging.

I then got on the phone and called Dell. I rather calmly explained to the person on the phone that I had ordered 3 computers. I ordered all of my computers in English (English software and English keyboards (QWERTY)). I then explained, while remaining calm, that my laptop had just been delivered, that I had opened it only discover it has a French keyboard (AZERTY) instead of the keyboard I ordered. I told them that I put it back in its packaging and had not gone any further. They said they'd call me back about the "possibility of changing the keyboard".

That was yesterday... today I called them again. I was told that I can now start using the computer as whether they change the keyboard or not they will not be changing the entire keyboard. They are now trying to determine (read "prove") where the error occurred. In other words they need to document who is to blame before they do anything. I sent them all of the e-mails I had sent to the sales rep to explain the problem as soon as I had the order confirmation as well as my original order and the leasing document I had signed all which showed that I had ordered a QWERTY keyboard on all of my computers. Now I just have to wait for the judgement...

In the mean time I have an absolutely beautiful, albeit slightly enormous, new laptop computer to install, configure and finally start playing with!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get a Mac, dude !
Hang in there.

Bob

David said...

Oh man! There is nothing worse than a surprise AZERTY! So sad, too - it's such a pretty pretty laptop. I have the 17" widescreen on my Toshiba, and it really does make for an absurdly big computer. But it sure is a pretty screen....

Anonymous said...

I really need to get that picture off my blogger account!
David