Friday, January 06, 2006

TGIF

I sometimes think that Arlene comes here more for the cafés, brasseries and restaurants than anything else. She spent all morning getting ready, as usual, and finished just in time for us to go out for lunch. We took the bus and went to the same brasserie that Alexandra and I used to go to on Wednesdays: Le Cercle by the Asnières train station. We had a very good meal. As we talked I realised how much I take the food we get in restaurants for granted. Arlene told me of the mediocre, and sometimes less than that, food she spent a fortune on in Ireland. I remembered some of the restaurant meals I’ve had in other countries. We both looked down at our plates with a big smile on our face. Although what we were eating was pretty standard fare for France it was certainly superior to what we were referring to and for a hell of a lot less money.

We had spent so long at lunch that we got back home pretty late and I spent the rest of the afternoon asleep.

In the evening we ordered sushi and watched Insomnia which I had rented. Some of us liked it, some of us liked it very much and others found it boring.

No comments: