Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Day 3

I knew there were going to be good days, not so good days and days I don’t even want to mention. Today was definitely a not so good day.

I woke up feeling nauseous and completely zonked out tired. It took me forever to get a bit of food down (toast, yogurt and some apple purée) and even longer to get cleaned up and ready to go. Today was a bit early session at the clinic so I had to get ready somewhat quickly.

I got to the clinic on time. They asked how I was doing and I was honest. I told them I was nauseous, very tired and still constipated. They were very sympathetic, in the chemotherapy department, as always. I went off and had my x-ray therapy done which, as usual, was quite simple. A bit of neck twisting this time but no big deal.

Back to chemotherapy for my standard treatment. But as I wasn’t feeling well at the start it certainly didn’t get any better. At about half way through the main chemo product, during the second hour, I started to get the shakes and shivers. They called Dr. Kanoui and they stopped the treatment. They put a special blanked on me and replaced the chemo with a bit of cortisone to stop the shivers and Dr. Kanoui came to check up on me. Once the cortisone was through, and I had stopped shivering, they finished off the chemo product but with a very slow drip to see if I would react again. Desney showed up to accompany me home and unfortunately had to wait for an extra hour and a half as my treatment had been delayed by all of the complications.

We took a cab home and I basically passed out on the couch. I was definitely feeling rough. I should have taken a primperan (antinausea) tablet then but I didn’t even think I could swallow the water… I awoke a few hours later at dinner time. I sat at the table while the family ate but I couldn’t eat.

I had already missed lunch and knew I was going to have to eat something before going to sleep. Desney reheated dinner for me and I tried to eat what I could. The duck and potatoes were a bit too heavy but the green beans went done fine. She then made me a bit of pasta and pesto which went down wonderfully. I was feeling a bit better after all of that and was at least able to watch a bit of TV.

At the clinic they explained to me that the complications were due to the cumulated effect of the chemo treatment. Definitely a rough day…

But only the beginning…

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Derek,
I am sorry to hear how difficult this can be. Hopefully this won't be a recurring problem, but I know you already thought of that. Can you tell me when, if any, would be a good time to call you. I know your days are filled, at this point, and since we are 6 hours behind, it is already afternoon there when we get up, I am not sure when you would be in a position to talk. Please let me know. If you really don't have any days that you feel like talking, at any time, let me know that also, but I would love to talk to you at some point, just to say hello.