Friday, October 14, 2005

A normal Friday

Today was the first day in quite some time when I didn't have to go back to the clinic.

I still had to get my midday injection of course. But I'm almost getting used to that. The nurse is so nice that I get over the pain relatively quickly. Was in the right side of the stomach today.

After lunch I headed off to the FNAC to do some shopping. I knew I needed to replace my iPod as my current one only lasts for about 45 minutes. The iPod is going to be absolutely vital to me during chemotherapy. After having spoken to a friend of ours who has been through it she highly recommends having something to listen to, read, play with, etc. so as to keep your mind off of it. I couldn't agree more. As the chemotherapy injection lasts about 2 hours or more I need a working iPod. I would have loved to just buckled down and bought the new iPod video but it's so new it's not available here yet. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a different iPod as I know I'll be getting the iPod Video probably as soon as it's available. But I also had these FNAC gift certificates, which my parents' association (APESA) had given me, burning a hole in my pocket. I bought the iPod Shuffle and some other stuff and headed home.

Believe it or not I also had lunch at McDonalds. Now many of you, including myself, may ask "Why would you possibly eat at McDonalds in Paris (France) of all places?" I can only answer... "Because I can". This was probably my last hamburger for quite some time to come and I wanted to enjoy the experience while I could. Rest assured I am continuing to eat wonderful French food every day in preparation for those days when I can no longer get the solids down. But this was just something I had to do. Of course it is interesting, and ever so slightly depressing, that I could taste this junk food without any difficulty while I can not taste wonderful meals (steak, wine, pork, ...). Apparently articial chemicals are easier to taste than natural foods and flavours. I felt only ever so slighly embarassed. However if there was a good New York Deli in the neighbourhood I certainly would have gone there instead!

Once I got home I of course charged up the iPod Shuffle and played with it for a while. I started making playlists to use during chemo...

In the evening we had Pizza Hut and watched Finding Neverland. I gotta say... I still haven't seen a bad Johnny Depp movie!

No comments: