Saturday, October 08, 2005

A more than slight disappointment

After my very positive experience with the beer on Friday night I was looking forward to a bottle of wine.

Desney made a wonderful lamb stew and I broke open a really nice bottle of Henri Delagrange Volnay Premier Cru Clos des ChĂȘnes 1998. It was a bit young, definitely pink edges, but it looked good.

I poured myself a glass and almost immediately realised my problem. with the surgery and the medication or whatever my taste buds have been screwed. The wine tasted so bad I actually couldn't finished my glass. Desney and Jessica were able to appreciate the wine for the rest of the meal and I just watched with jealousy...

I was hoping that I had one week of reprieve where I could drink wine. I was planning on having a bottle of wine each night, with dinner, for the rest of the week until treatment started.

The week is now going to seem even longer...

Then again I think of how much I am going to appreciate a good glass of wine when my taste buds come back.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Hello Nephew,
I am assuming since it is now 1630, your time, that you have had the apparatus installed. I am hoping everything went well and you may be back home. I am sorry to hear about your inability to taste wine, I have been suffering from that for almost 20 years now, but as you know, for an entirely different reason. Why don't you ask the doctor if you can just have that Herny De La Grange, etc. etc., pumped into the tube they just installed, you won't have to worry about the bad taste, except for my suggestion of course, and you will be able to appreciate the after affects. We may be on to something here. I wonder why you were able to enjoy the beer and not the wine? Strange, although i know that taste buds do become affected by this type of illness and treatment. We continue to keep you in our thoughts, here, and look forward to your ongoing updates, keep them, as well as your chins, up, and keep listening to Jessica, she is apparently wise beyond her years. In the spirit of the Saturday night joke fest, I would like to add an interchange between Bush and one of his henchmen. At a recent news conference, Bush was interupted by Donald Rumsfeld and informed of an ongoing story, Bush then turned to the audience and relatated that three brazilians were killed in a terrorist attack. With tears in his eyes he reiterated his resolve to coninue the fight against this form of ongoing intimidation. He then was heard in an aside to Rumsfeld "Rummy, just how many peeople are there in a brazilian?