Monday, October 24, 2005

Day 8

If only every treatment day were like today...

The nausea is still at a bearable level and I am able to eat normally. It takes me hours to get ready in the morning but no one's waiting for me...

I grabbed a sandwich from the bakery, which I was able to eat, on my way to the clinic. A quick half-hour later and I was back on my way home after the x-ray treatment. I stopped off at a café, at Porte de Champerret, and had a cup of coffee like a normal person. It tasted a bit funny, as just about everything does these days, but certainly enjoyable and appreciated.

I got home with a bit of energy so I worked for bit in front of my computer. I should have taken a nap. It was a great feeling to get some work done, catch up with e-mails, feel a bit productive, put out some fires and help move things along. But I should have taken a nap when I had gotten home.

I never see time fly, zoom and blur by at light speed when I'm working in front of a computer. How many times have I gotten up from my chair only to suddenly realise it's been hours since I've gone to the toilet? I feel glad and lucky that I can still use computers and that they still provide me with such pleasure.

Desney got home and I suddenly realised what time it was. I got up from my desk and could have passed out then and there. I went upstairs and lied down for a bit and she prepared dinner.

It was great to sit down at table, just the two of us, and eat properly (fish, green beans (garlic & olive oil) and carrots). It still takes me forever to eat but it's also still a pleasure... even though I never know what something is going to taste like until I put it in my mouth. This adds a certain mystery and apprehension to every dish...

About an hour after dinner I tried a scoop of Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream which had been my saviour throughout my post-operatory recuperation. Unfortunately it doesn't taste as good as it used to and doesn't do wonders for my nausea. I seem to be being forced to sacrifice all of my great gustatory pleasures in my life (wine, tasty foods, wine, ice cream, wine, cheese and wine). I certainly hope it's temporary!

Overall though a definitely positive step forward through the treatment. If only every treatment day were like today...

No comments: