Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday

I actually didn't sleep as well as I had hoped. Obviously I was in a strange bed. Although I have slept in this particular bed and this particular room so many times over the many years I believe this was the first time I was in the room alone. The room still feels to me like it's Desney's room and it is very strange sleeping in her room without her. I have been missing her a bit more and more the past few days and even the past few trips. But I truly missed her last night. It's just her simple presence that makes me somehow feel reassured and whole. Without her presence, after a while, I start feeling as though part of me is missing. It turns out that part of me is actually quite important to me and difficult to be without. I slept until about 07:00 and then stared at the ceiling until about 09:00.

My mother-in-law, Hazel, prepared for me a wonderful homemade English breakfast of perfectly scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. I wasn't able to eat it all. But what I did eat was delicious. A bit of coffee and the ridiculous tabloid (Daily Mail) made it a relaxing experience.

After lunch I plugged my laptop in to their cable broadband connection. I was just going to check out my e-mail and surf the Internet a bit. However I noticed they now have a scanner. They had had problems with their printer, once upon a time, and they replaced it with an Epson all-in-one. I have been dreaming of coming over with my scanner one year to scan in the family photos they have preserved in boxes and albums as they are priceless additions to the family tree. I downloaded the drivers, installed, configured and connected the scanner to my laptop. I then found myself spending the rest of the day scanning in a little over 50 photos. I didn't even scratch the surface! I'm going to have to do this again and again... But I'm going to be going home with some very precious images which will no longer fade and which the rest of the family are going to love...

No comments: