Sunday, April 09, 2006

Skype

For those of you who are interested I've been using Skype more and more and am actually quite impressed.

I originally started using Skype after installing it for a client for whom Skype is a revolutionary and fantastic solution. This client has offices around the world as far flung as islands on the other side of the planet. The Skype solution of free Internet phone calling is just too logical an option. I set him up with a Linksys CIT200 Wireless Skype Phone and oen in his Assistant's office. The system worked so well that I bought myself one the next day.

I set myself up with a SkypeOut account to be able to call regular phones and a SkypeIn account so people could call me on the Skype phone from regular phones and the voicemail so that I didn't have to always answer the damn thing. Most people know that I consider the telephone to be the most intrusive, aggressive and obnoxious invention known to man when misused. It is also, quite obviously, one of the most practical, invaluable and wonderful inventions known to man when used properly.

After a few weeks of regular usage I actually cancelled my normal office phone line and now use Skype exclusively as my business phone.

This trip has been particularly interesting as it's the first time I've been using Skype while travelling. I bought myself a VoIP Voice V Traveller portable Skype phone before leaving and it fits nicely in my computer bag. It's wired, rather than wireless, but when I'm travelling that's not a big deal. What is a big deal is that I can now call home, and elsewhere, via the Internet rather than the ridiculously overpriced hotel phone charges or even the less ridiculous but still overpriced international mobile phone rates. It works wonderfully.

2 comments:

David said...

Interesting. I'm 'odoketa' on skype. I've used it to call Egypt fixed lines, and obviously to France as well. I'm still not convinced of the voice quality of VoIP - we use them here in the office (the cisco router and cisco ip phones) and they work pretty well 97 percent of the time. But the 3% gets me. I think skype uses a p2p swarm approach to getting packets from a to b, which seems like it should work so long as there are users (and there most definitely are users). I do think, tho, that some pathways are being degraded by providers. I may have to look into the phone you refer to - perhaps an integrated solution would make me happier (and certainly the hotel phone would be nice to avoid!)
David

Derek Erb said...

Hey Dave!

There's VoIP and there's VoIP... My client's office here in London has a complete VoIP system for their internal phone system and I must say I've been more than impressed both with the quality and the functionality.

Our cable VoIP phone system at home however has been acting up. It's nothing to do with the phones or the quality but rather the provider's system which keeps declaring our phone number as "non-existant" when people try and call it.

Then there's Skpye. It's an entirely different creature in that it is truly linked to the computer. I have been so far very pleased with the service. I just made about 5 or 6 calls to New York, France and London over the past couple of hours and spoke a total of 48 minutes for less than a couple of euros. This directly from my overpriced hotel room where it normally would have cost me a phenomenal amount to try that with their phones.

I must admit that audio quality just is not importnat to me. I hate phones. If I use them it's because I need to speak to someone and e-mail just won't do. If they don't sound like they're coming through a Bang & Olufsen sound system with crystal clear quality I wouldn't notice as most of my contacts don't have that great diction any way {g}. But seriously folks... what's important to me with a phone is reliability and its basic function.

So far Skpye has been doing just as well as the other VoIP solutions I've been working with... we'll see what time and a bit of competition shows...