Friday, April 21, 2006

Rize

Normally I fear the "morning after" I've had a throat exam. This morning actually went quite well and I only had to drink a bunch of water to get everything working again. Serious dry mouth overnight. But that's probably partly due to the fact that I stupidly slept with my mouth open for quite some time. There are many times when I simply have difficulty remembering that I'm not like I used to be. Subconsciously I sometimes think nothing's changed. It happens a lot when I'm looking at food... I think "that looks great!" and it takes me a long time, sometimes too long, to remember that it's something I probably wouldn't enjoy any more. Pizza, simple pasta without sauce, mashed potatotes, BAGUETTES, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, ... These are all things that look great but are practically impossible for me to eat... I forget too often...

I spent the day working, working, working. I'm still playing "catch up" with correspondance and billing while also having to do some work on computers in America while they're asleep and get it finished before they get to the office... it makes for a rushful morning and then the afternoon is spent doing both what I would have done in the afternoon along with what I didn't do in the morning...

Ended the day by opening my Amazon delivery. I had ordered yet some more DVDs as they have had some really good deals lately. One of them is a movie Jess had seen in the cinema and has been dying to watch again.

RizeRize is a documentary about the evolution of the dance movement in South Central Los Angeles (read the ghetto) to offer an alternative to gangs. The subject was interesting. But I don't think it really filled the amount of time dedicated to it.

The director (David Lachapelle) obviously had his own slant on what he wanted to show. Every review I've seen seems to bring up how much he glossed over the oriental and white dance groups in his film.

There were some interesting "characters" such as Tommy the Clown who appears to have started everything and Miss Prissy who appears to be the one with enough grace and character to move on out some day.

Jessica loves the dancing. I was impressed with the Krumping at the beginning. But the lack of rhythm and musicality in the dance got on my nerves after a while. Good ole break dancing at least looked like the music was relevant to what they were doing. This looked great and athletic but the music just seemed to be incidental and having grown up with music and dance I personally found it just not to be my cuppa tea.

I'll probably watch the making of some day, with Jess, just out of curiosity. But my interest will probably stop there...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Derek,
Congratulations on being cancer free!! It does feel good to know that there was a cure at end of the long and hard treatment. I just had my esophagus streched today. Now I should be able to start swallowing small bites of solid food. I have all the same taste and no saliva problems as you. They say these will improve with time, especially the taste. It's nice to be alive and cancer free.
My prayers are with,
Randy Fine Aka Tonsil boy