Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Back to the doctor...

I went back to see the surgeon today. It was actually quite good to get out of the house.

I must have done a bit much yesterday as I was definitely very tired today. The trip on the bus back and forth to the surgeon's was actually quite exhausting.

The surgeon was running quite late, as were most of the doctors in his office, and the waiting room was full of people asleep in the couches and chairs. I joined them without complaint.

When he finally saw me he removed my bandages. He likes the look of my scar. That's the sort of thing only a surgeon can say. The swelling has gone down nicely and everything looks fine to him. He changed my bandages and gave me a much bigger bandage. Just what I needed. He explained that on Friday he will remove the stitches but he will be putting another bandage on top of the wound until Monday. So I still can't take a shower or clean myself properly until Monday. That was a step backwards in my opinion.

The good news is he said I can eat just about anything as long as it's mushed up and not warmer than tepid. When I got home I mushed up a half an avocado and ate with glee. After a week of a diet of exclusively yogurt, purées of apples and/or pears and petits suisse it was wonderful to eat something else. It felt quite revitalising to finally be able to eat some vegetables.

In the evening I actually got to eat dinner with the family. Desney prepared me all sorts of tepid purées in separate bowls (potato with cheese and milk - peas and milk - and she ran a steack haché through the blender and I mixed it in with the potato purée). It was wonderful!

I am now dreaming of the day I actually need to use a fork and knife again.

It's amazing how much of our basic needs and basic pleasures we take for granted!

No comments: