Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Mornings are getting better...

I hate mornings. I always have and probably always will. A good early morning for me is at the end of a long night when I go to sleep.

I hate getting up in general. I do so only because I have to.

However mornings since the operation have been hell. Our throats dry out when we sleep. In my case that means all of my internal stitches contract and so when I wake up and take that first swallow of the morning it's like an entire gang has decided to attack the inside of my throat with razor blades. The pain lasts throughout most of the morning and obviously doesn't make it easy for me to eat or communicate.

Today however I was able to better prepare. I had cold water ready for me next to the bed. Although nothing can prevent that first dry swallow and the ensuing pain getting ice water down my throat immediately afterwards allows me to at least start functioning. I was able to crawl out of bed and slowly get a yogurt down me before taking the rest of my medicine. This also greatly reduced the nausea I go through most mornings.

The morning was tough and the morning was long... as always. But it was definitely bearable. I was able to get down yogurt, apple purée and a couple of petits suisses.

Mornings are getting better. Today was first morning since the operation I did not cry.

No comments: