Friday, September 23, 2005

Mornings are still hell...

I still hate mornings... always did and always will...

Some mornings are better than others nowadays. It depends on how I sleep. If I stay on my back my throat dries out less and I can get it relubricated quickly enough to be functional within an hour or so. But if I lie on my side when I sleep then mornings can be very long.

I get up around 06:00, as the pain starts to kick in, and I take that first swallow which I dream of avoiding. Desney came up with the wonderful idea of keeping thermoses of ice water for me throughout the day. I knock back ice water all day and it soothes the throat a bit. So I came up with the idea of keeping a tiny thermos of ice water next to the bed and I am amble to start on that first thing in the morning. I basically sit up in bed sucking back ice water, very slowly, for about a half an hour contemplating why I have to go through this.

I then eat what I can which generally consists of yogurt, apple purée and petits suisses. Finally I start the morning medication of anti-inflammatories, antibiotics and the painkillers. Depending on how the morning has gone up to then I generally pass out for anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes. But if I sleep too long then I go through the same painful rehydrating process all over again.

God how I hate mornings...

No comments: