Monday, September 26, 2005

Stop hiding...

After breakfast, and after everyone had left the house, I took the bandages off this morning. It was a relatively painless process and more emotionally impressive than anything else.

I have a very tough looking sloppy letter Y on my neck running from behind my ear down towards the middle of the neck and from the middle of the scar down towards my left shoulder. I obviously hope this will get smaller and paler with time as the moment it's pretty scary looking.

Being able to finally see the wounds helps me better understand how I feel as well. I now know why I can't turn my head in particular directions. I thought it was from the bandages but it's actually from the wounds themselves. It'll be a while before I can stretch a bit...

I have to leave the wounds out in the open, to the air as it where, for the day before I can get them wet. I can't wait for tonight when I can shower and shave (very, very, very carefully).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if this will work, but suddenly realised I can reply to your blog, which is great.

I look for your updates with anticipation and also with some anxiety. It is good to know what is happening to you, but it is all the more keenly felt what a perfectly dreadful time you are having. I saw a girl last weekend who has also been diagnosed cancer in her neck and she was very funny about it, very open, just like you, and she said their are two types of reaction from people - one just ignores the topic and talks to you as though nothing has happened, and the other talks away but she says you know all they are really thinking is : thank goodness it's not me. Which I thought was an interesting, and probably accurate observation.

Won't rabbit on in case this does not work. You know you are in my thoughts daily, and I will continue to look forward to that drink when the next phase is over.

Bon courage my friend, we are all fighting with you.

Love to Desney and the girls too.

Big hug.

Karen

Derek Erb said...

An interactive blog brings a whole new dimension to the experience.

Thank you Karen.

In my opinion the best weapon I have against this is positivity and all the positive thoughts I get from others just reinforces the artillery.