Sunday, December 18, 2005

Back from the ....

I feel like I’ve been in a coma for the past week or so. I actually probably would have preferred to have been. I really was hoping they were going to give me some wonderful drugs that would knock me out, or at least keep me pleasantly happy, throughout this period while I just wait for my body to retaliate and recuperate. Things have gotten worse each day. I can’t say things have gotten better yet. But I can say they’ve stopped getting worse which is already a major step forward. I’ve got to start getting better soon…

Time has passed…

Desney went out and got a new bed for her office/our guest room as my in-laws are arriving in a couple of days to spend Christmas with us. There’s no risk of my saying the wrong thing while they’re here as I can’t say much of anything at the moment. It should be their calmest trip ever.

I replaced the OfficeJet in her office with a new OfficeJet 7410 which is plugged directly on the network rather than to her computer. This means less work for her computer. But, more importantly, it means we now have a network printer on each floor. Every computer in the house can print to a printer on any of the floors. It also means we finally have a scanner and memory card reader on the network available to any of the computers. This means the girls’ computers can now scan and read memory cards from digital cameras.

Desney, Jessica and Alexandra went out and got the Christmas tree yesterday. For the first time in the history of our family I didn’t carry the tree home. Desney and Jessica carried it home from down the road which is a sight I certainly would have loved to have seen. I assume the entire neighbourhood heard the two of them “communicating” with each other. It took a while to get the tree stabilised as we had to cut a bit off the bottom. Desney was kind enough to spend the time putting the lights up as Alexandra could not possibly wait to get the decorations on. Once the lights were on we put on our classic Christmas music (Nat “King” Cole, carols, jazz Christmas, …) and put the decorations on the tree. It’s now proudly standing in the entrance of the home.

I sold off quite a few of my old versions of my tools (Palm T3, TomTom Go, Bluetooth handsfree car phone system, …) on eBay and finalised the transactions this week. That brought in a bit of extra cash for the holidays which is sorely needed. The old OfficeJet PSC, from Desney’s office, is next…

As all of my thoughts tend to be focused on getting through the day and getting food and medication in me I am having great difficulty getting in to the holiday spirit…

I’m just glad to be able to be here and celebrate the holidays at all…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Derek,

I just want to let you know that Justin and I are thinking about you. We wish you and the Erb ladies a happy and healthy 2006!

do you have a photo of your tree that you could post?

Love,
Lisa and Justin Lehrer

Jerry said...

Hey Derek,
Just wanted to add my two euros to the mix and add Sharon and I to Lisa and Justin's good thoughts and energy. Hope every day finds improvement in your mouth and throat. We love you and think of you always.

Jerry and Sharon