Monday, December 26, 2005

Boxing Day

A definitely better night! I got up at 3 but that was just nature calling. There is an obvious side-effect to drinking water all day. But I slept through until 07:30 only coughing maybe three times in the night. The difference was I tried sleeping more horizontally this time rather than sitting up. I'm going to try again tomorrow night, on the couch, and if it works I'll be able to sleep with my wife again which is priceless.

The rest of the day was quite uneventful, as Boxing Day should be. We just sat around all day watching TV or reading or doing puzzles (crosswords, sudokus, ...). Desney got me a set of DVDs of Buster Keaton shorts. They're wonderful classis. I watched the first couple of shorts which were actually Fatty Arbuckle shorts with Buster Keaton having a small role. I've always found Fatty to be rather grotesque. But my opinion may be biased by the knowledge of the various rape and other sex crimes he was falsely accused of. I can't wait to get up to the "real" Keaton shorts.

Alexandra got me a boxed set of Marx Brothers DVDs which I want to watch with the kids. Desney and I realised recently how many of our classic film references our kids are not aware of. This is in part due to the fact that we don't live in an Anglophone country and therefore do not get the classics on tele. I am going to love rewatching the classics, explaining the references and period information while obliging the kids to sit through the entire films even though they can't see how anyone could possibly find any of this even remotely funny.

For dinner Desney took the leftover turkey and made us a delicious turkey pie. Dessert was leftover Christmas logs and chocolate. Sometimes leftovers can be better than a normally prepared meal.

No comments: