Friday, December 23, 2005

The day before the day before

Desney spent a good deal of yesterday afternoon preparing foie gras. It's always a pleasure watching her meticulously pulling out the veins and blood bits and then making each liver into a beautiful roll with a lovely thick layer of yellow fat. I can't wait to see if I can taste it at all.

In the evening we had steak with foie gras sauce. The sauce was frozen but a delicious sneak preview of good things to come this season. I was able to eat well which made me feel quite satisfied. I even had some ice cream, for the first time in quite a while, which went down quite well.

The night was both better and worse. It was better in that I only got up once (02:00). But it was worse in that the attack I had at 2 was probably the worst I've had yet. The coughing was the most painful yet and I even very briefly contemplated throwing my body in to the car and going to the E.R. It just didn't seem like it would end. I sat up crying, coughing, drooling and with my nose running like a fountain. A beautiful sight. Thankfully it did subside and I slept until 07:30.

Today Desney was out and about doing lots oh shopping and preparing. She never stops. I spent part of the day trying to get food down. My throat hurt much more than usual. I then spent some time with bookkeeping and accounting.

As someone, with impeccable timing, is pulling the strings in my life I had my first tax audit which started before I even got out of hospital after my second surgery. My biggest worry was maintaining my clients' confidentiality and I was proud and pleased to do so even better than I thought. My accountant's main worry was covering her own ass which she did reasonably well. After many weeks of audit they found something to make their quota: many Internet transactions do not produce invoices. They are not a legal requirement for all transactions in America for example. I have to produce the invoices or those expenses will be excluded and added back on to my profit. For certain expenses, such as my web-hosting subcontractors, it's just a matter of time and tedious work of downloading and printing a few hundred invoice to cover 2000 through 2005. However for other companies, such as Internet fax services (JFax), domain names (Register.com) and digital certificates (Verisign), all I can do is write to themand beg. I received the results of my audit today with the figures of how much I stand to lose if I can't produce the goods. The problem is that France just doesn't accept that other countries don't do business in exactly the same fashion and they are, as usual, not willing to adapt. I really needed something else to worry about right now...

Tonight was our standard Friday night at home with a movie and take out. Only this time there were six of us. We called out from Pizza Hut and watched Pirates of the Carribean (first time for the Wilkinsons and the Nth time for the Erbs). Quite a bit of fun.

This entry is actually an experiment. I have written it entirely on my Palm TX and am going to publish it with the Palm as well.

[PS: It didn’t work. The entry was too long. I tried to publish it in bits, with copying and pasting and appending, but that didn’t work either. In the end I transferred the Word file I had created on my Palm to my network, with WiFile, and then uploaded it normally.]

No comments: