Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve

Probably our saddest New Year’s Eve ever.

I spent most of the day feeling downright awful. I’ve been coughing and crying constantly and in a lot of pain throughout most of the day. I’m sure the rest of the family is truly sick and tired of listening to me.

I did manage to go out and get the necessary sustenance for the evening. I got 3dozen oysters and 3 dozen of the biggest prawns known to man (from Madagascar). The things looked radioactive they were so big. And they were the medium size! There was one size bigger. The prawns cost a fortune. But as I wasn’t buying lobster this year I didn’t think it was a big deal. There was no point getting lobster if I can’t really taste it or enjoy it. As I’m the only big lobster eater in the family the rest of the family didn’t mind. Desney prepared smoked salmon and all of her delicious sauces to accompany the shellfish and we had a great meal. Unfortunately no one seemed to eat a lot and we’re going to be eating prawns for the next few days. As it was New Year’s and all, and as I have successfully been drinking tea for the past few days, I thought I’d try a tiny glass of wine. I had a sip of our favourite Alsatian’s Gewurztraminer. It tasted delicious in my mouth and was a great feeling. Then I swallowed. The alcohol on the walls of my throat was torture and I cried for a few seconds both in pain and the realisation that I ain’t there yet.

Desney hadn’t been feeling well most of the day as well… extremely tired probably due to my keeping her up at night. Luckily for Jessica she was invited to a party at a family we know well. After dinner I drove Jessica to the party. I’m glad we let her go as I’m sure she had some fun with people in a party atmosphere and mood. Alex and I sat up until midnight watching a sort of circus on television and hugged each other Happy New Year. I sent out about a dozen textos wishing friends and family Happy New Year and went to bed….

No comments: