Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Day 17 – Back to the Doctor

Today was a bit tough… the pain swallowing and yawning has become constant and, well, painful.

Jessica went off to do some book shopping as she needed to (finally) get some required books for school that she should have gotten at the beginning of the holidays rather than the end of the holidays. Alexandra went off to La Défense to meet with Desney and do some lunchtime shopping.

I was therefore home alone. I was able to eat a light lunch (soup and rice) and headed off to the clinic for today’s treatment. The treatment was easy as always and they were running a half hour late. I asked to see a doctor and eventually was ushered in to see Dr. Kanoui. He was actually much kinder this time and apparently had more time. He examined my throat and prescribed a whole bunch of medication which should help me eat (local anaesthesia for my throat, corticoids, potassium supplements, …). As soon as I got off the bus home I went to the chemists to get my medication. They had everything in stock except for the most important (xylocaine – the internal anaesthesia gel) so I have to wait until tomorrow morning for that.

I went home and to sleep for a couple of hours on the couch. I had difficulty eating dinner but I did get down some solids. I spent the rest of the night wincing every time I swallowed.

If you were to ever think about it and count how many times you swallow in an hour you can then imagine how tiring it would be if every single one of those swallows felt like sandpaper in the middle of your throat and someone slicing at you from the inside…

No comments: