Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Day 30 – Back to the Clinic

It’s been very nice having 4 days off and I certainly needed them.

Woke up still with the constant pain swallowing and retching every now and then. I think the family is getting sick of hearing me throughout the day sound like I’m just about to throw up. I know I am!

I drove Arlene to the clinic with me. She waited in the waiting room while I had my treatment, which didn’t take long, and while I saw the doctor. I asked to see a doctor when I arrived so as to hopefully get some sort of medicine for my throat and extremely thick saliva.

The doctor was quite nice and sympathetic. He was not pleased with my rather extreme weight loss and prescribed some protein drinks to help build my weight back up. Talking about my extremely negative reactions to the chemotherapy he agreed that it may very well be preferable that I do not go through with the third series of chemotherapy. It felt very good to finally hear someone else, especially a doctor, say that was a possibility. Unfortunately, however, there is nothing anyone can do about my thick saliva which sets off my vomit reflex in my throat and which goes down like acidic sandpaper.

We went home and I tried to get down dinner. Dinner was delicious (salad, cold meats, cheese, …). But I couldn’t get much of it down.

No comments: