Saturday, November 26, 2005

Day 41 - A real day off

After a few nights of not getting any sleep and coughing all night I had a good look at the painkillers I have been shoving up my ass. I checked out the ingredients: 500 mg of Paracetamol (fine), 15mg of dried opium (bring it on!) and 50 mg of pure caffeine (what the???). It clearly says on the notice inside that these are not to be taken at night due to the large quantity of pure caffeine. What was Dr. Kanoui thinking??? I then checked out the effervescent painkillers I had been prescribed after my surgeries: 500 mg of Paracetamol (same), 30 mg of Codeine (not quite the same as dried opium but it'll have to do) and no caffeine. I took one of those last night and slept straight through to the morning.

Awoke with my standard coughing fit. But within a few hours I was fine again. I caught up a bit with my e-mails where I could and did a bit of bookkeeping.

I had a couple of tuna and avocado sandwiches at 15:00 and passed out by 16:00. I didn't get up until after 19:00 which was actually not such a good idea. I obviously needed the sleep but that was too much daytime sleep.

Desney made a chicken curry for dinner which was quite tasty. Afterwards I watched a bit of X Files on DVD and went to bed late.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you were able to sleep with the codeine-laced painkiller (is it Prontalgine?) I usually take 2 of those for my severe headaches (1000 mg), but never at night, since the codeine keeps me up and makes me itchy all over. When I take it during the day, it works fine, except for the dizziness it brings on.

Derek Erb said...

We obviously have very different reactions to codeine. The medecine in question is Efferalgan Codeiné 1g. Codeine always helps me sleep. I had quite a lot of it after surgery as I generally have a very negative reaction to morphine.