Monday, November 07, 2005

Day 22 – Back in Chemo

The day I’ve been dreading for 2 weeks.

No problems in the morning. It took me a good hour to get down breakfast and all of the pre-medication I have to take (anti-nausea, relaxants, corticoids, laxative, potassium, …).

I got to the clinic on time and met with a new doctor. He checked out my blood test results and approved my continuing chemo. I explained to him that I wasn’t able to swallow the large potassium tablets and he prescribed a potassium liquid instead. He asked how the last chemo week had gone and we (Desney was with me) told him. He was apparently not too worried about the constant nausea and pleased there wasn’t too much vomiting. Easy for him…. He’s on the other side!

The x-ray treatments went by quickly and then back to chemo. They were completely booked up and didn’t have any more chairs in the chemo room. I therefore got a private room with a bed and my own toilet. What a luxury! Even with the Emla Patch I had put on injecting the catheter hurt this time. But once the fluid started pumping I just kicked back and listened to my music. Three and a half hours later they removed the last perf bag and replaced it with my pump and I left. Desney came to pick me up and we took a taxi home.

At home I just sat around most of the evening. It felt good to be able to eat so I had soup and pasta to try and fatten myself up as much as possible before the days when I can’t eat arrive.

All in all not too bad a start…

4 comments:

Jerry said...

Are you allright and I know that at this time, that is a relative concept, but it is unlike you to go this long without a post or a response to email. Please let me know that you are okay, either here or by email.
We love you
Jerry.

Derek Erb said...

We are here! We are here! [Said the Whos from Whoville to Horton]

I am alive. It's been a very hard week and I am just now (midnight Monday 14/11) gettting over it.

I hope to post more updated information tomorrow.

It has been a very tough week...

:-(

Jerry said...

I am sorry to hear that, :-(, but thanks for responding, I will await further reportage. Again, we love you. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Brother,
I am so worried you have not blogged lately makes me feel things are really bad, mom keeps me somewhat posted...my heart is wondering......xox Jill xox.